Married and on staff together is a unique circumstance that can be really good, but does carry some risk.
Here are a few of the risks:
- The risk of the appearance of playing favorites.
- The risk of one doing well and the other not.
- The risk of confidential information being shared.
- The risk of extra pressure on the marriage relationship.
- The risk of church becoming the consuming focus of the family.
- The risk of one being let go from staff.
Nonetheless, married couples can and do flourish on staff together, but it doesn’t happen by accident. Good coaching is needed.